A new grant funding programme to help communities living within 5 miles of certain waste transfer stations or landfill sites take action for their local environment.
What is it?
The Landfill Disposals Tax Communities Scheme is a new Welsh Government funding programme that will be managed by WCVA and launched in Spring 2018. The scheme will support local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill.
Who and what will it fund?
Details are still being finalised but it is expected that the fund will be open to any organisation for projects focusing on one or more of the following themes:
- Biodiversity– conservation and promotion of a specific species or a specific habitat where it naturally occurs.
- Help native species, pollination and planting
- Restore, maintain and enhance natural habitats
- Engage and support participation and understanding to embed biodiversity
- Waste minimisation– promote awareness and best practice to reduce the amount of waste produced
- Encourage prevention, re-use, recovery and recycling of waste
- Reduce food waste and support initiatives such as composting
- Engage and support understanding to enable waste to be seen as a resource
- Wider environmental enhancements– bring wider community benefit through improving quality of place.
- Create community green spaces and supporting green infrastructure
- Bring neglected and run-down areas back into community use
- Maintain or improve community facilities, for example community halls.
How much funding is available?
Grants of between £5,000 and £50,000 will be available for projects that meet scheme criteria, with one larger project of national significance also being funded each year. The fund size is £1.4 million per annum.